I feel like the fridge is one of the most difficult places to keep organized. Think about it! All of the food that goes in and out on a daily basis, the leftovers, the spills, the kids’ snacks, the rotten strawberries and who knows what that smell is coming from! Let’s not even mention the times when we barely have enough time to shove the groceries into whatever space they fit into – forget about making it beautiful! Follow my simple tips for easy fridge organization for your busy family!
Don’t forget to scroll down and sign up to gain access to my FREE Resource Library where you’ll have access to more than 50 pages of free printables!
My #1 tip is by no means a new concept but this simple habit change has dramatically changed the way my fridge looks on a weekly basis. But you do have to realize that this habit change, when applied on a regular basis, must be consistent in order for you to have a beautifully organized fridge.
Clean out the fridge weekly!
Yep! You read that right – weekly. By cleaning out the fridge weekly I have been able to accomplish several things:
- Less food waste! When I put the new food I bought from the store in front of the old food, I would forget about the old food and it didn’t get eaten and was eventually thrown away because it went bad.
- It isn’t disgustingly gross! Because it is cleaned out regularly, it doesn’t gross me out anymore to clean it.
- It is so much faster! Cleaning out the fridge used to take me at least 30 minutes. Now that I am in the habit of cleaning it every week, it only takes about 10 minutes!
- My fridge rarely, if ever, stinks! Because there aren’t any mystery leftovers that have been molding in the back of the fridge for weeks, my fridge rarely has a smell. Unless, of course, if I have strawberries in there (but I found a solution for that).
Tips to Cleaning out your Fridge
So here are some tips that I have to help you clean out your fridge on a more consistent basis and make it much less painful to do so.
- I always try to clean out my fridge the day before going to the store. This makes putting the groceries away so much easier because you have more room in your fridge and you don’t accidentally push stuff to the back.
- Store things in clear bins with like items together so you can keep track of food items better, such as cheese, lunch meat, fruits or veggies. Plus, it makes it beautiful!
- This is an age-old trick but putting a small container filled with baking soda in the back of the fridge does wonders for stinky smells! I bought some strawberries the other day and within hours of bringing them home my fridge was super stinky! I put some baking soda in the back of the fridge and by that night the smell was GONE!
- Before you go to the grocery store, take an inventory of what you already have so you don’t overspend. Go one step further and plan next week’s meals around the things you already have.
- I will probably do an entire post on this one day because it is my favorite thing, but I use my Google Calendar to set a reminder for me to clean the fridge out every Tuesday (Wednesday is my Grocery Shopping day). If I didn’t have this I am sure I wouldn’t be nearly as diligent about that chore.
Here are some of my favorite products to use when organizing the fridge. Some of them I own personally, and some of them I have used in client’s homes.
So there you have it. What do you think? Is this something that you are willing to try? I challenge you to try it for 1 month and see how incredible it feels to open up a neatly organized, smell-free fridge! Small habits make the biggest difference in our lives, so why not start with this one? Set a weekly reminder on your phone and just do it!