It’s that time of year again when we take out our Christmas dishes and put them on display. They are beautiful to look at and add a special touch to the holiday season. But what do you do with them after the holidays are over? If you’re like most people, you probably store them in a closet or somewhere else in your house where they can collect dust until next year.
This is not the best way to store your dishes, though! In this blog post, we will discuss some tips for storing your Christmas dishes safely and keeping them in good condition for years to come.
Storage Ideas for your Christmas Dishes
When the holiday season comes to a close, you may be wondering about the best ways to store your Christmas dishes. Some dishes may be valuable heirlooms, while others may be cheaper options that you enjoy every year. Whatever type of dishes you have in your collection, here are 10 tips for storing them properly.
Here are some tips to make sure they stay in great shape until next winter.
How do you Store Christmas Dishes?
It can be hard to know what to do with holiday dishes at the end of the season, but here are a few tips for you to make sure they stay in great shape until next winter.
Tips for Safely Storing Dinner Plates and Bowls
- Clean and dry dishes thoroughly – This is an important first step in storing holiday dinnerware. Wash and dry your dishes thoroughly before packing them away.
- Separate plates, bowls, and cups – this will allow you to see how many you have of what item. This will allow you to find a storage box or bin to fit them all together so they stay organized.
- Invest in china storage boxes – I love these sturdy storage boxes that will keep your pieces dust free, it will protect them from the elements, and can use any type of dinnerware in them. You can store glasses, plates, tea cups, or bowls. They keep your dishes clean so you don’t have to wash them again when you get them out next year.
- Buy storage boxes with rigid sides – these are great for stacking and keeping your dishes safe. They come in all shapes and sizes, so they should fit any size of dinnerware. They also have a great set at the container store.
- Invest in separators – Placing separators between each dish will help keep them from scratching against each other as you move them around or stack them. Some organizers even come with them! You can find these separators at most home organization stores.
- Use items around the house to separate dinnerware – If you don’t want to purchase separators to pack between your dishes, you can use items from around the house to help protect your holiday dinnerware. You can use items such as paper towels, napkins, dishtowels, or even a few coffee filters.
Benefits of Buying Storage Bins for Holiday Dishes
There are a few key benefits to investing in storage boxes for your Christmas dishes. Number one, it keeps them together so you don’t have to worry about figuring out where everything is when you need it.
Secondly, these bins usually come with handles and lids so they are easy to carry and store away in a cabinet or closet.
Lastly, they usually come with a label so you can label each dinnerware set stored inside. This will make it easier to find what you need.
How to properly store plates
After you’ve washed your dinnerware, place the first plate into your cylinder storage box. Then place a separator on top of the plate. Then repeat the process and add a padded separator between all of the plates.
This protects the plates and prevents scratching and chipping. This will keep your holiday dinnerware beautiful for years to come. These separators from the container store are really inexpensive and they are great quality.
Storage Ideas for Glasses
If you are looking for a good way to store your glassware, you can use a box with dividers that are specially designed for glasses. This is usually the safest option as it prevents your glasses from bumping into each other and causing chipping or cracking.
Safely Store Silverware pieces to Prevent Tarnishing
Silverware can be tricky to store. You want to make sure that they are stored in a way that keeps them from rubbing against each other and becoming dull or scratched. The best option is to use silverware dividers which will keep your flatware from clumping together.
If you are worried about your silverware tarnishing, then you can purchase storage options specifically for silver (also found at the container store) that will help keep them bright and beautiful.
Where Should Holiday Dishes be Stored?
Finding a proper place to store your holiday dishes is just as important as safely packing them. Always look for a place that is dry, away from moisture and extreme temperatures. The best option would be to store them in a closet or cabinet that can be closed off when not in use to keep dust out.
Another good location would be the attic which could provide enough air circulation without becoming too hot or cold.
I found a cabinet at the thrift store that needed some love so I brought it home, repainted it, and it is the perfect storage solution for all of my dinnerware. I also use it as a good gauge to know if it’s time to get rid of items. If it doesn’t fit in the cupboard, something has to go.
This is a great way to make sure that your love of dinnerware doesn’t get out of hand.
If you have a china storage cabinet, then this would be the perfect place to store your holiday dinnerware. You may not want to use storage bins if your china cabinet is glass. It’s more beautiful to have your dinnerware on display.